Friday, January 25, 2013

Adventures in Canning and Dehydrating - the introduction


I've always had an interest in canning and other "old school" aspects of housekeeping.  Our household also has a keen interest in a more self reliant lifestyle.  This past summer I ventured into the world of canning.  Let's just say it is a learning experience!  I have actually arranged for a basic canning and dehydrating demonstration at my house for a bunch of us that would like to get into it.  I plan on sharing what I learn with you and we can start out on this journey together.  I've done a little on my own already, and I'll share with you how that went.  You can just learn from my mistakes so you don't have to make them! 

Here are two posts from my family blog from this summer:


CANNING!


I tried canning for the first time.  Chris was able to swing a day off since he worked so much overtime the other week, so I was able to try this out since he was able to sit in the yard and study while Little Lady played outside - although she still helped out every now and then. Let's just say it was a learning experience....




I got "suited up" and realized I should make an apron for pregnancy....

She got her apron on too and was ready to help! I believe this is an old family apron? Either that or just from when I was a kid?

First we made blackberry jam from the berries we picked. This is not canned, just put in a jar in the fridge. It was thickened with cornstarch instead of pectin (don't have any), so I wasn't sure that was okay to can and I couldn't find a sufficient answer on the Internet. I'm actually going to pick up some pectin at the store today and use that for the rest of the blackberries I have and can those.


Next up, tomato sauce. It felt like I had a ton of tomatoes, but I realized it was probably only enough for one quart size jar. It takes at least 5 pounds to make on jar.


First, all the skins had to be peeled off. Just put them in a pot of boiling water for about 35-45 seconds and then immerse them in a bowl of ice water. The skins then pretty much peel right off.

I then had to quarter all of them and remove any tough parts (stem area) and remove the seeds and squeeze out extra water. You can keep the juice to drink if you like. I put them in a strainer to drain any extra water while I was processing.

They then went into a pot to boil down. I still used a masher to help break them up - I had lots of roma tomatoes. They also have lots less water, so I didn't need to boil it down as long, maybe that is why they didn't break up on their own as much.

Then came the real learning part for me. I put the sauce in the ONE sterilized jar, closed it up, and put it in the pot of boiling water that was ready and waiting. I then realized that it really didn't cover the top of the jar with at least an inch of water......hmmmmm.......I decided to let it continue boiling while I pondered that. Then I also realized the pot kept boiling over and putting out the flame. **Sigh**.....so I think I got about 15 minutes of boiling, rather than the 45 required, before I came to terms that it wasn't gonna work. I removed the jar and let it cool and then put it in the fridge, to be used this week. If I'm going to do quart size jars I need to get a larger pot. That was an AWFUL lot of work for a jar of tomato sauce. I am ALL about opportunity cost - and buying a jar of sauce at the store makes much more sense - but the lesson was invaluable and I do have concerns about what goes into our bodies. I'm also not earning money right now - and trying to save money - so canning is still a valuable tool. I just need to try it on stuff that is a bit easier to prep. Processing all those tomatoes was killer on my legs and back right now - several hours of standing. I was very disappointed after it all, but I now feel better about it. I had been very anxious before trying it - as most people are with anything new - but I gave it a try, didn't totally succeed, but learned some lessons and am willing to try again. What more could I ask for?
 
 

ADVENTURES IN CANNING ROUND 2!!!!
 
Now......what did we do with 11 pounds of strawberries?



This time I set it up so I could sit at the table and process. Washed 'em and removed the leaves/stem.

Mashed them up and combined them with the pectin and sugar. I must say, I'm dismayed by how much sugar is required when using pectin. I'll have to explore what other, healthier, options there are. I just used the recipe that was in the pectin box.


I then also realized I was supposed to have a tray of some sort in the pot for canning. Solution: trivet.

Canning round 2 was ALSO a learning experience. I used a pot larger than the directions called for and....hmmmm...as soon as it reached a boil (which you are supposed to maintain for a short period) it boils over - crazily - ridiculously - seriously. Nothing comes easy...


We got the strawberry jam into the jars, boiled and took them out to cool. She kept an eye on them and listened to the "pop" of the sealing lids! I will say, it is very satisfying to hear that sound.


SO - strawberry jam was a success! And still a learning experience for the whole foaming thing.....


Next up - packing fresh strawberries in a simple syrup!


I got some great strawberry info from Local Kitchen Blog.



I got the recipe for this from Recession Depression Therapy. She gave the option of substituting honey for half of the sugar. Great way to use some Idaho honey!

Fresh, cleaned strawberries, ready for syrup.

Filled up and ready for a lid and boiling!

Still had some more strawberries - so I decided to dry the rest.



All done - with a couple left over for snacking on!



There you have it! Strawberry Jam, Strawberries in simple syrup and dehydrated strawberries!
 
 
So this is what my canning experience has been so far.  I'm looking forward to the presentation and sharing what I learn.  I will also be doing lots of dehydrating thanks to an awesome new dehydrator I got for Christmas!
 
Hopefully you'll join me for the adventure!
 
 

 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for being honest about your anxieties and your learning curve. I have a terrible fear of failure and I tend not to try things I think I will fail at. That's pathetic, isn't it? Also why I procrastinate. It's a sort of perfectionist curse. What equipment do you need to have to do canning? I could look it up but you have been there and done that so you might have a better answer. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very daunting to try something new. Very good question about the equipment. My Mom actually gave me canning tools for Christmas the other year. I'll do a post with all the basics, including tools. Have you tried dehydrating at all?

      Delete
    2. I'm afraid we are poor homesteaders and haven't had the funds to invest in the proper tools. I did dehydrate some strawberries in the oven, but they looked so gross afterwards that the only ones who got to 'enjoy' them were the chickens. It reminded me of the first time I did granola and put the raisins in at the wrong stage--not even the goats liked that. :O)

      Delete