Friday, March 8, 2013

Homeschool Preschool: Letter Recognition


Okay - I'm totally behind.  This was done last week.  There is just so much to do, it is hard to get these posts completed and posted sometimes.  Know that feeling?  I'm sure you do.  We all do.  This is just one of those periods of time I'm taking care of so many other things that keeping up with this has become difficult.  But, I like doing this and it is important to do things you like when things get stressful - so here I am!

SO - letter recognition.  Most of our kids know the alphabet song or at least mumble through it.  I wanted to start focusing on the specific letters.  I had a couple ideas brewing and then noticed an Alphabet Kidpack during our weekly library visit.  Check if your lirbary has these.  It is a bag with an assortment of things that all follow a certain theme.

 
This one had several books about the alphabet, a video, a puzzle bag, alphabet cards and a book with activities based on letters!
 
 
I am really liking the books from The Mailbox company.  I noticed some in the kids section this week and checked them out.  They are proving to be a great resource.  I should have them be my sponsor.....
 
We started with our circle time as usual and read one of the books form the Kidpack.  I then took out some flash cards and played a tape - yes a tape - from an old Hooked on Phonics kit my Aunt gave me to use.  It was basically the alphabet song done slowly so you show a card with each letter.  When that was done we sang the song again on our own.
 
Next, we played a little game where there were lillypads spread around with different letters on them.  Each kid took a turn holding the frog and jumping to the letter I asked them to hop to.

 
We then did our "centers" where the kids went around with their Mom and did an activity at each spot.


 
They had to put the items that started with a B into a basket.


 
They matched up some rhyming puzzles.
 
 
They had to swim the fishies over and put them under the matching letter.



 
They had to match up different alphabet cards.

 
There was also a simple sock toss into a bin to get some throwing fun in.


 
Next up was a little craft.  We wrote their names with one letter per car and then mixed them up.  They then unscrambled them to spell their name.

 
Then they glued the cars to a strip of paper.


 
And they had little crowns to wear.
 
We had orange snack items and then playing! 
 
I'm going to play around with the order that we do things, move up the snack and do centers afterwards, otherwise it gets a bit late for that.
 
I will also be posting what we did THIS week in the next day or so!
 
Back to the craziness!
 


 

2 comments:

  1. Very well done! And always good to utilize the public library system, paid for with your tax dollars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts too! It's already there and paid for!

      Delete