Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Homeschool Preschool: Spring! Letters E and F.


So - this actually was this weeks lesson!  I know I'm behind, and I actually have the last two weeks or so as drafts in the pipeline.  I even typed one up, spent a ton of time on it too, but then lost my changes!  I figured I will type today's up while it is fresh in my mind and then catch up on the other ones. 

Today is the first day of spring!  Yay!  Looking forward to getting outside more!  So today we focused on talking about spring, as well as the letters E and F (focusing on two letters per week).  First we got in our circle, everyone introduced themselves and sang our "welcome" song.  It is the same song they sing at the library for story time and the same song we sing at our church playgroup.  When searching it online I was very surprised that I couldn't really find it in it's entirety or a video of it.  I found some of it here and have copied the lyrics below. 
 
Hello Song
(Silly Songs)
(Tune: “Skip to My Lou”)
Hello, how are you? (Wave hand.)
Hello, how are you?
Hello, how are you?
How are you this morning?
I am fine, and I hope you are, too. (Point to self, then a friend.)
I am fine, and I hope you are, too.
I am fine, and I hope you are too.
Hope you are fine this morning.
Turn to your neighbor, and shake their hand. (Shake hands.)
Turn to your neighbor and shake their hand.
Turn to your neighbor and shake their hand.
Shake their hand this morning.
 
We also do the repeating verses of: "Reach up high and wave your hands" and "Bend right over and touch your toes" and "spread your arms and flap like a bird" and "roll your head from side to side" and then end it with "Now we're ready to have some fun!" where they swing their arm like a swashbuckling pirate!
 
When all that fun was done we read this book about spring.

 
We talked about the different things on the pages, asking them to identify stuff too.  There was mention of eggs hatching and flowers blooming, which led into us talking about the letters of the day.
 
I didn't do the centers this week.  I wanted to do more group stuff - and I've also been super tired lately.  You'd think an almost 6 month old wouldn't still be waking every 2 hours to eat, right?  Anyways, we did all our activities together today.
 
 
First, I had these two flowers (w/o the petals) on a board.  I explained the flowers had lost their petals and we were all going to help put them back.  The kids took turns picking up a petal from the floor and deciding if it went on the big F or little f flower.  Good old blue painters tape on the back helped them stick it on the appropriate flower.
 
By then they needed to wiggle.  So we put on some music, first putting on the Wee Sing Train song and just moving through the house like a train, at different speeds - getting some energy out.  I then put on the freeze song (any song works, you can pause it yourself, or there are lots of versions where the music will stop and the kids are supposed to freeze when it does).

 
Instead of freezing though, the kids were instructed to look at me and see which letter I was holding up, big E or little e, and they would then run over to that letter on the floor.  I had placed pieces of paper with a big or little E in different areas of the floor.
 
After this I passed out plastic eggs that had pieces of paper in them.  Some had E's and the others had different letters.  The kids then got to open them and tell us if they had an E or not - some were able to say which letter they did have, even if it wasn't an E.
 
Then they did snack.  We had too many kids today to sit at the table, so they had a little picnic on the kitchen floor!
 
 
When they were finishing up their snack I read them "The Tiny Seed" by Eric Carle and then went over these little cards about how a seed turns into a plant.
 
 
They each then got to plant their own seed!  They put dirt into the little cup, put in their seed, and then topped it off with some more dirt.

 
Everyone got to take home their own little seed.  We'll see if they turn into plants or not!
 
I should probably also get around to starting some seeds for our own vegetable garden!
 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment