Thursday, January 10, 2013

DIY Christmas Stocking



This year I finally got around to making Little Lady a Christmas stocking, and of course made one for Little Man too.  There have been tons of fleece fabrics in the remnant bins, so I stocked up and they ended up being perfect for this project.

The first step was making my pattern.  You can hand draw this or just trace a stocking you already have onto papers taped together.

 
Cut out your fabrics.  I used a green fleece material for the outside and a nice red jersey knit (another remnant bin find!) for the inside.  Set them aside.

 
I wanted to put the kids' names on the front, so I found a font I thought was good and bold and printed out their names, stapled it to a piece of red felt, and cut out the letters.  Whenever I cut stuff out of felt I just staple it on.  It is super easy to remove the staples and it doesn't really damage the felt.

 
I then glued the letters on the front with fabric glue, being sure to leave space along the edges for my seams.  Then, since I do all this stuff after the kids are in bed, I thought it would be a good idea to let it dry 'till the next night.
 
Now this is where you can make a choice of how to proceed. You can sew the stocking and the liner together separately, essentially making two stockings and then sticking the liner stocking inside the main one.  This will leave a nice neat seam on the inside of your stocking.  OR you can just layer them all together and sew them all at once. I went ahead and did it that way because I didn't feel like having to anchor the lining and I figured no one would really notice.  I was also tired.  For that you just layer the main stocking fabric right sides together and then place one liner fabric on the top and one on the bottom, then sew all the way around - except for the top of the stocking.  Then turn the stocking right side out and it will look like stocking - just needs the trim at the top.
 
For the trim, I used a nice thick cream fleece material.  Basically measure the top of your stocking, multiply by two, add an inch for mess-up sake - this is how long you'll want it.  It is up to you how wide you want your trim.  I probably did about 5 inches down from the top of the stocking, so that means I cut it 10 inches wide, since I doubled it over.
 
Now this is where you'll have to make sure you're paying attention.  Your trim will be folded, wrong sides together (right sides facing out), and you'll pin it around the top, but basically the trim will be INSIDE the stocking, the opposite of where it will be when you're finished.  Look at the picture below, those are your layers.

 
I also wanted a little loop to hang the stocking with, so I stuck one through where the ends of the trim would be sewed together.  Once you've sewn all around the top of the stocking you trim any excess where the trim comes together and then sew the ends together.

 
Then fold that trim down over the seam.

 
It will now look like this.

 
This is what the inside of mine looks like, since I sewed the liner and stocking together all at once.

 
You really can't tell from the outside.
 
 
There you have it! These really were easy, came out nicely and cost well under $5 total to make.  That's my kind of project!
 
I realize I could have/should have done more pictures of each step. This was my first sewing tutorial, so I apologize. Hopefully it makes since. If not, just ask in the comments below and I'll try to clear it up!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment